August: A Dozen Don't-Miss Events To Bucket List
Like it or not, summer is winding down (*sob*), so we all might as well make the most of this last blissful month. And lucky for us, the calendar is still as full as a blueberry bush. Have you been blueberry picking yet? Because it is a good year for them. Add that to your August plans while you're at it.
MLive File Photo
1. Coast Guard Festival | Grand Haven | July 28-August 6
Parades, tasty treats, carnival rides, music, ship tours and more to honor the men and women serving in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Summer Thrill on the Hill
2. Summer Thrill on the Hill | Buchanan | August 3-5
Three days of splashy fun centered around an oversized slip 'n' slide down Front Street, plus a sandy beach, bubble machine and dancing.
St Joseph Today
3. Chalk the Block | St Joseph | August 4-6
Artists transform slabs of sidewalk into magnificent works of art throughout St Joe's charming downtown.
4. Blueberry Festival | South Haven | August 10-13 A harvest celebration of epic proportions, featuring a lively parade, blueberry pancakes, a cook-off, arts and crafts, and kids' blueberry pie eating contest.
5. Dracula, The Musical? | Holland | August 10-12
This delightful spoof of the classic horror tale features singing, dancing and unparalleled entertainment from start to finish from an all-teen cast and crew.
6. Meteors & S'mores | Holland | August 12
Glimpse the Perseids Meteor Shower and enjoy s'mores under the stars at Holland State Park.
7. South Haven Fly-in | South Haven | August 13
A jaw-dropping close-up look at airplanes from all eras, with opportunities to fly into the sky or simply watch the planes zip up and down the runway.
8. Discover A Spider's World | Benton Harbor | August 20
A real spider hunt, as well as fascinating facts and arachnid encounters, with Internet sensation Bob the Spider Hunter.
9. Superhero Geocaching | Niles | August 26
A modern day scavenger hunt featuring special caches from the likes of Batman, Thor and Wonder Woman, as well as food and fabulous prizes.
10. Family Campout | Kalamazoo | August 26-27 Families can sleep under the stars, tuck into campfire meals, go on a night hike/owl search and savor the myriad splendors of nature.
1. Mudfest | Kalamazoo | August 27
Kids of all ages can get dirty in a colossal mud pit, zoom down the long slip ‘n slide and soar through the trees on the zip line at Kalamazoo Nature Center.
Michigan Maritime Museum
12. Nina & Pinta Ship Visit | South Haven | August 31-September 4
The pair of amazing tall ships will dock at the Michigan Maritime Museum for a one-of-a-kind nautical experience.
For the details, head on over to the Southwest Michigan Kids calendar.